General eligibility conditions. The admission conditions are in line with the EPFL guidelines. Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree either with an engineering profile or management/economics profile (holders of a degree from a Swiss University of applied sciences, i.e. HES/FHS, are not eligible). The admission is based on the quality of application: all candidates must have an excellent academic record (i.e. an average of at least 4.5 or equivalent over the entire Bachelor’s program) and fulfill the specific eligibility conditions as described below. The applications are evaluated by an Admission Commission, composed of professors from the three institutions, by assessing the quality of the application, the relevance of the followed Bachelor’s program compared to the Master’s cursus of interest, and the motivation of the candidate.
Specific pre-requisite conditions. Candidates with an engineering profile should have acquired credits in management or economics, while candidates with a management/economics profile should have acquired credits in data science – statistics, econometrics or quantitative methods. In case of schedule conflict, substitutes will be proposed by the Admission Commission.
Important: The goal of these pre-requisites is to achieve a class composition where interactions between the two groups of students will be as fruitful as possible. Given the objective that graduates of the program should be able to master data analysis methods, candidates with a management/economics profile should have a demonstrated appetite for and preparation in quantitative disciplines. Conversely candidates with an engineering profile should have been exposed to economic and management reasoning and modelling. In all cases (and in particular in this initial year of the program) we understand that it may not be possible for some candidates to fulfill the specific pre-requisites listed below. The Admission Commission will propose alternative requirements to ensure that the competencies necessary to follow the program are acquired. Candidates should not hesitate to describe their situation and inquire about the possibility of being imposed alternative requirements at email@example.com.
Candidates with a Bachelor degree in Engineering
These candidates must prove that they have obtained 6 ECTS (or equivalent) in disciplines related to management or economics as follows:
- EPFL Bachelor students should have enrolled and passed before the beginning of the program 3 courses (each with 2 ECTS) out of the following courses:
- Courses offered by the SHS (until Spring 2020):
- 3rd semester: BA3 – HUM – 245(a) – Economie et innovation or BA3 – HUM – 220 – Work and organizations
- 4th semester: BA4 – HUM – 277 – Human behavior and economic sciences or BA4 – HUM – 226 – Sustainable development A
- 5th semester: BA5 – HUM – 348 – Entrepreneurship or BA5 – HUM – 346 – Human resources management
- 6th semester: BA6 – HUM – 340 – History of Economic Thought or BA6 – HUM – 361 – Introduction to Sustainable Entrepreneurship
- Courses offered by the CDM (since Autumn 2020):3rd semester: BA3 – MGT – 200 Economic Thinking or BA3 – MGT – 201 Introduction to Entrepreneurship;
- 4th semester: BA4 – MGT – 202 Technologie, Economie et Politique: en face des crises or BA4 – MGT – 203 Sustainable Entrepreneurship;
- 5th semester: BA5 – MGT – 300 Game Theory and Strategic Decisions or BA5 – MGT- 301 Foundations in Financial Economics;
- 6th semester: BA6 – MGT – 302 Data Driven Business Analytics or BA6 – MGT – 303 Economics and Applied Econometrics of Innovation
- External applicants need to have obtained or be willing to obtain before the start of the program 6 ECTS (or equivalent) in disciplines related to management or economics following the exigencies of the Admission Commission.
- Candidates with gaps in these requirements will be requested to complete online courses such as those offered by Wharton University of Pennsylvania – Business Foundations Coursera Specialization (84 hours equivalent to 4 ECTS).
Candidates with a Bachelor degree in Management or Economics
These candidates should have followed Physics during their high school studies or have an equivalent level of preparation. A refresher in Physics may be organized in the course of the first semester. Moreover, these students must prove that they have obtained 18 ECTS (or equivalent) in disciplines related to data science – statistics, econometrics or quantitative methods – as follows:
- UNIL-HEC Bachelor students should have enrolled and passed before the beginning of the program 3 courses (each with 6 ECTS) out of the following courses:
- Analyse de la décision (2nd year)
- Statistiques et Econométrie I (2nd year)
- Statistiques et Econométrie II (3rd year)
- Recherche Empirique en Management et en Economie (3rd year)
- Algorithmes et Pensée Computationnelle ou Programmation Pratique en Python (3rd year)
- External applicants need to have obtained or be willing to obtain before the start of the program 18 ECTS (or equivalent) in disciplines related to data science – statistics, econometrics or quantitative methods – following the requirements of the Admission Commission.
- Candidates with gaps in these requirements will be requested to complete online courses like, for example, those offered by EPFL Extension School Data Analysis (150 hours, equivalent to 6 ECTS) or John Hopkins University Data Science Coursera Specialization (308 hours, equivalent to 12 ECTS).